About Me

I started working in public libraries a longer and longer time ago (how did that happen?) as a Circulation Clerk and then went on to be a storyteller and puppeteer. My Masters took me to research jobs for corporate libraries but now I'm back working with kids again. It's so much more fun and the opportunities to learn and be creative are boundless!

Monday, July 13, 2009

Thing #2

I take it for granted that learning is continuous in all areas of life so I'm quite comfortable with Habit #2 and I accept responsibility for my own learning. This may be easy for me as I never think that I know enough about anything but, in any case, I do push myself to move ahead and learn new things. However, though I don't feel "old", I think that middle age has, indeed, slowed the speed at which I learn and accomplish new things.

Habit #3, viewing problems as challenges, is sometimes a challenge! Though I usually think of problems as always having a solution, especially after some brainstorming and creative discussion, those are usually problems OUTSIDE MYSELF! The colleagues I most admire seem to regard problems, even personal ones, as GAMES to be played and won. I can do that with objective problems but personal ones are often accompanied by emotional baggage that depresses any energy I have. "AAAAAaaaaack!", as cartoon Cathy would exclaim.

Lastly, as far as making and signing contracts with myself . . . oh, please! I even get crabby when I have to fill out paperwork at the doctor's office! Contracts with myself are like diets for me . . . they just spell FAILURE!

No comments:

Post a Comment