About Me

I started working in public libraries a longer and longer time ago (how did that happen?) as a Circulation Clerk and then went on to be a storyteller and puppeteer. My Masters took me to research jobs for corporate libraries but now I'm back working with kids again. It's so much more fun and the opportunities to learn and be creative are boundless!

Sunday, August 9, 2009

Thing #11

Library Thing is very easy to use, from setting up an account to "cataloging" books. Rather than use it as a catalog of what I own and have physically in my house, I prefer to use it to keep track of books I've read. I know a gal who has a shelf in her house for "books to be read" that she has bought but hasn't had time for. One could also tag titles on Library Thing as "to be read" when one hears about a good book (I'm always writing on scraps of paper in the car when I'm listening to NPR.)
The groups our there are interesting, to say the least. The most interesting thing to me is to see how vastly different opinions can be on a specific title. I was looking at a group that reads juvenile fiction. One person would recommend a book for 4th to 6th graders and someone else would say it was too scary and appropriate for 6th and up! The list of everyone's childhood favorites was also interesting and contained some surprises to me, although some of my favorites were also listed. Library Thing will be a useful tool for selection, I think, to add to other selection tools.

No comments:

Post a Comment