About Me

I started working in public libraries a longer and longer time ago (how did that happen?) as a Circulation Clerk and then went on to be a storyteller and puppeteer. My Masters took me to research jobs for corporate libraries but now I'm back working with kids again. It's so much more fun and the opportunities to learn and be creative are boundless!

Monday, August 3, 2009

Thing #8

1. I think that I may end up liking RSS feeds after all. I'm not usually one to complain about someone "moving my cheese" or one to be resistant to change, but it will be an adjustment to actually use these feeds myself. Setting up an RSS feed, though, is exactly what we used to have to do manually in the corporate information centers in which I used to work, culling and clipping and copying articles to create information alerts for consultants working in various industries.
2. For professional development purposes, my RSS feeds will help me keep informed and keep my creativity sparking with regular links to articles by and about other librarians and what they're doing. I'll be able to keep up my link with world and international news through my quick links and maintain my Spanish language fluency with a few links to Spanish-language news sites and blogs.
3. Our social studies classes my be able to be the first to use RSS feeds. Our students already watch CNN Student News and our social studies teachers are excellent at raising our students' awareness of current events. By looking for particular topics on various sites, students could compare coverage and media bias, while also tracking developments of certain current events (elections, negotiations, discoveries, etc.) Our principal could create a public RSS feed for parents on particular topics related to education. We librarians could develop public feeds for our students and parents to sites about books and reading.

1 comment:

  1. Hang in there! I am also struggling to finish before the deadline and if we just didn't need sleep (figure that out yet?), we might make it. Don't give up on this project, even if you go overtime. You will love some of the more creative Things (like #10, a lot of fun like #6). You'll find lots of ideas to use with the kids!

    ReplyDelete