About Me

I started working in public libraries a longer and longer time ago (how did that happen?) as a Circulation Clerk and then went on to be a storyteller and puppeteer. My Masters took me to research jobs for corporate libraries but now I'm back working with kids again. It's so much more fun and the opportunities to learn and be creative are boundless!

Sunday, August 9, 2009

Thing #14

I'm liking Technorati a lot more as now we've had to go to it several times. I'd have to watch the video tutorial on it again but I could swear that the search boxes weren't exactly the same in real life as in the training video. Hmmm.
As a librarian accustomed to using controlled search vocabularies, it is something of a switch to realize, "You mean, just ANYONE can be a catloger or and indexer?!" But I can see how personalizing tags is just what makes these tools social and collaborative. What were those old tomes we used to search to check who had footnoted whom? The name escapes me but these open resources for storing and sharing research and adding tags must be making research a great deal more alive and certainly less lonely than it was when I was in school, finding, copying, reading articles on my own, totally alone. These tools must be having such an enormous impact on research in all kinds of fields. I almost wish I were in graduate school again.

No comments:

Post a Comment